GARLIC & HERB ROLLS
I decided to make some rolls day before. My dad loves home made bread and after I made some spinach bread a few days back for him, I thought I’ll treat my dad some more and make some garlic and herb rolls.
I have tried several recipes of garlic bread but somehow all fail when it comes to the garlic flavor. One bite and I question whether I added any garlic or not. But, not with this one! Not only did I up the amount of garlic in the bread, but with this cool basting trick I found at Annie’s Eats, while figuring out how to make knotted rolls, you would be sure you are eating a garlic flavored bread.
Annie also has step-by-step illustrated instructions on how to make the knotted rolls. In case you would like to shape them like knots do check her post.
Fresh out of the oven, with some butter slathered on- these make a fantastic eat!
HERBED GARLIC ROLLS
Makes 10 rolls
- 2 whole garlic heads (bulbs)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
For the final glaze:
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Take the garlic bulbs and open them slightly to reveal a hint of the individual cloves. Drizzle with some olive oil and some freshly ground pepper. Wrap the bulbs separately in aluminium foil. Let roast at 200 C for 45 min in the oven. Once cool, peel off the skins and keep the roasted garlic aside.
- In a large bowl, mix in the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, pepper, herbs, roasted garlic and cheese. Add the olive oil and mix thoroughly. In a stand mixture fixed with a dough hook, or with your hand, slowly knead in the water. If required increase/decrease amount of flour/water.
- Knead the dough for 7-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Oil the dough ball and place in a bowl, covered. Allow to rise until doubled.
- Once doubled, punch the dough down.
- Let rest covered for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal sized balls.
- Shape into desired shape. (To make knotted rolls: check this out) Let rise until double.
- Preheat oven at 175 C.
- For the glaze, melt the butter and add in the garlic. With a brush, baste each roll with the melted butter-garlic mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. (Baking time may vary depending on your oven so please keep a check on them)